01 May 2023

#75

 So, I finally completed my 10 sessions of elementary 1 japanese class, and I'm just relieved it's over, but at the same time, it was fun while it lasted. We had this program called skillsfuture, and i had credits given to me by the government that I hadn't bothered to use in a while, and I thought learning a new language could be pretty fun (other courses are too technical), and the school I chose to enroll in had 10 sessions of weekly JP elementary 1 classes that lasted 3 hours each. I already knew 3 hours was long, but I can't resist thinking that it's the most value for money course. The other language schools offer JP classes at 2 hours each for 12 weeks. Anyway, after all that, I still think 3 hours is a little too long, and I always felt a little distracted at the 3rd hour. We do have a 10minutes break, but that's it. What did I learn? Hiragana with some katakana (with romaji aid), but initially I really struggled to keep up and wanted to drop out of the course at around the 3rd session, but I decided to adjust my mindset on it. I thought to myself that even if I'm the worst in the class (~12 students, no exams), I'm just doing this for fun, and besides, I can continue to keep learning using the textbook even after the 10 sessions are over. So that is what I'm planning from now on. To keep learning ~10 words to add to my vocabulary, and then keep working on improving my grammer, because that's the hardest part. At the moment I'm literally not writing any words down, instead using my memory to store, because I can still remember writing endless lines of chinese characters, just to consistently struggle with passing my chinese in the past (hiragana is wayyyy easier to write and remember though versus chinese/kanji characters). I also have to keep looking at youtube videos to continue to read hiragana and there is youtube vids that introduces hiragana words, as well as beginner to japanese grammer (because i don't read any chinese at all outside school, my reading comprehension for chinese is terrible). For this class, I used ~480 credits (I have 1000 credits total). I can use another 450 credits for JP elementary 2 class, but I think for now I'm gonna absorb whatever I have and get some confidence first before moving on. Or maybe some other class interest me that is within the remaining credits that I have left.

No comments: